Monday, May 20, 2013

Goin' Back to Me Roots

"Oh family descent, how great thy charm, thy sway-how excellent!"

Occasionally I find myself going back to me roots, and today I found myself thinking of a certain special woman in history that had a huge influence over my life- ma "Wee Granny". Wee Granny Murdoch was born in 1782 in Glencairn, Dumfries, Scotland. She immigrated to the U.S. after becoming a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon church), and made the huge effort to trek west in search of Zion, the land of promise, where dwell the pure in heart. She was very small in stature (hence the name "Wee Granny") and she died along the trail near Chimney Rock. Her last words, according to family legend, were "Tell John I died with my face towards Zion". John was my Great-Grandfather seven generations back. She never made it to Zion in body, but she certainly was counted among the pure in heart. Brian C. Shmidt wrote of her:
Why was it so important that her son John know that she was facing Zion at her death?  For me this sentence symbolizes so much. 
In her 74th year and frail condition Wee Granny probably knew the chances of surviving the journey to the Salt Lake Valley were slim.  But that earthly destination was not as important as her eternal goal.  She was facing Zion.  She was turned towards the Lord, Jesus Christ. 
She wanted her posterity to know that in spite of the difficulties of the journey she still believed. What really mattered was her faith in Jesus Christ.  She trusted in Him and in his will and in the wisdom of His timing. 
Williams Clayton penned a similar testimony in what became an anthem for many pioneer saints.  In the forth verse of Come, Come, Ye Saints they sang:
And should we die before our journey's through,
Happy day! all is well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!
But if our lives are spared again
To see the Saints their rest obtain,
Oh, how we'll make this chorus swell--
All is well!  All is well!
Not only is this story very powerful to me because of my faith, it reminds me that we must always be pushing forward to reach our dreams and our goals, even when we never see them realized. Sometimes the struggle and the journey is more important than the actual destination. She never set foot in the physical land Zion, but she made it to the truer Zion with every step of her weary feet. Wee Granny's determination and love of God continues to influence me, her Great Granddaughter of seven (or so) generations later. I dearly hope that when my time comes, after reaching my hardest, that I will have the faith to say I died with my face towards Zion.

Painting of Wee Granny by Clark Kelly Price




No comments:

Post a Comment